Over the years I’ve delivered websites for hundreds of brands. Some of them saw exponential growth. But to be brutally honest, a lot of the websites I designed or developed achieved only mediocre results. In 2013 I made the decision to draw a line in the sand.
Companies looking for “good enough” are no longer good enough. We are looking for opportunities to do our best work, even stretch ourselves, and help deserving brands become remarkable. We now focus on traction, experience and scale in all of our services. If a client isn’t looking to 10x their results, they’re not a good fit for Lean Labs.
I’ve delivered hundreds of websites since I launched my first agency in 2002. Some went huge, others went nowhere. The deciding difference was how customer centric the site was, how well the buyer journey generated leads and delivered ready to buy customers, and how well they could grow traffic to the website.
Today we only accept clients who are ready to deliver a brand experience that their customers will love. I’m inspired by companies that not only want to get bigger, they're seeking to become remarkable. It's not work when we're helping a company become awesome in the eyes of its customers.
- HubSpot Certified; Inbound Certified; HubSpot Partner Certified
- Lean Labs is a HubSpot Platinum Partner
To be really successful, you don’t want to have too many strengths. Too many strengths and you’ll lack focus, plus you’ll be cocky. Just 1 strength and you’ve got to be SUPER good just to overcome all your weaknesses. Lucky for me, I’ve got two strengths, and while three might be better, these two have served me pretty well.
- I help companies and startups create, implement and refine brand strategies, with a strong focus on the buyer journey. This is also one of my favorite things to do in the world.
- I recruit & develop really great people. I surround myself with people smarter than me, each of whom are an expert in 1 or 2 key disciplines.
Role models / Influencers
Jim Rohn, Seth Godin, Les Brown, Tim Ferriss, Ash Maurya, Joe Fox, Ricky Carmichael, Brian Halligan
‘The Icarus Deception’ by Seth Godin (+ Lynchpin, Purple Cow, and Permission Marketing)
‘Inbound Marketing’ by Brian Halligan & Dharmesh Shaw
‘Who Moved My Cheese’ by Spencer Johnson
‘The E-Myth’ by Michael Gerber
‘How to Win Friends & Influence People’ by Dale Carnegie
‘The Lean Startup’ by Eric Ries
‘Getting Real’ by Jason Fried (+ Remote, Rework)
Where I Live:
What I love doing (not at work):
Bicycling, Motorcycling, Boating, Bodyboarding, and thanks to my kids, Tennis
My Principle Role at Lean Labs
Brand Strategy & Buyer Journey for Lean Labs & its amazing clients
What Makes Me Good At It:
- I focus on the needs, wants, feelings, and concerns of the targeted buyer. I don’t build sites or campaigns for my clients. I build them for their customers.
- People buy from people. Even your brand’s website needs to be human, telling its stories in an attractive character that builds a connection with your target audience and authentically helps them throughout the entire brand experience.
- I’m willing (and eager) to put in the work to achieve the results I seek.
Why Lean Labs?
- I believe most agencies are in it for the money,
- I believe most “account consultants” and “project managers” are woefully inexperienced.
- I believe the act of pushing work to low level talent damages project outcomes.
- I believe startups and growing businesses and strategic, creative, technical and marketing gaps that limit their success.
- I really like the rapid learning environment of leading an agency. I enjoy the diversity, the challenge, and the relationships.
- It's exciting how every test, every lesson, every outcome (good and bad) has given me a vast experience that no job or single business could ever deliver.
I started Lean Labs to prove by action that by focusing on great work rather than size, success stories rather than revenue, buyer journey and go to market strategy rather than templates, and partnering with clients rather than going from project to project will create more success for both our clients and our company.